Recording podcasts with Skype makes it easier to reach international guests without spending a dime on location or travel costs. Skype’s microphone doesn’t disappoint when it comes to audio quality.
A stable internet connection will save you from “Can you hear me?” and “Can you see me?” moments. Video podcasts attract an audience, and you can notch up your channel by adding an aesthetic background video recording with Skype’s green screen.
Since Skype allows multiple people to join a call, you can have more than one guest in your episode. And you only need one device to record, post, and edit your podcast episode.
However, despite Skype’s quality microphone, I recommend switching to professional recording software that works with Skype. Software programs designed to record podcasts have extensive features to enhance, structure, and export them in different formats. Some of the applications also provide instant sharing options.
Here’s the list of the best applications with plug-ins you can use to record a podcast on Skype.
Table of Contents
Evaer will give you the feel of a screen recording software and automatically connects to Skype soon after installation. Despite its easy installation, the Evaer website guides you through the process and explains the different features available. It records both audio and video calls with HD recording and supports all versions of Skype. Let’s look at some of the top features.
- Has a picture in picture mode.
- Multiple video recording options like picture-in-picture mode, side-by-side mode, video or audio-only, etc.
- It is available at multiple frame rates.
- Choice of recording both sides of the audio, local or remote audio.
- You can preview and switch videos in the middle of a video call recording.
Price: It has a trial version with a recording limit of 5 minutes.
Standard license: $19.95
Professional License: $29.95
Pros and Cons:
iFree Skype Recorder
iFree Skype Recorder automatically records Skype calls. As the name says, it’s a free Skype call recorder with no cap on time. The installation and setup are easy and efficient. To record a Skype call, choose a manual or the automated option, and the record button will activate soon after the call starts.
- The call settings allow you to select if you want to record only your side, remote side, or both.
- Recording mode is available in three options: Mono, Stereo, and Joint Stereo.
- Audio recording bitrate ranges between 32 and 256.
- Manually adjust recording sample rate.
- Supports computer audio and microphone.
Price: Free to use.
Pros and Cons
Share your Skype interviews in seconds with Call Note in HD quality. I am thoroughly impressed by this call recorder for the exciting and unique features it offers.
Did you know call recorders can analyze emotions? Call note can! How exciting is that? Record your calls in 7 languages, including Chinese, and set automatic sharing preferences. With a click of a button pause, stop, resume, and start your video/audio recording.
You are free to take screenshots of the window while recording video calls. If you wish to do away with any part of the recording simply trim, cut, and remove parts from both audio and video recordings.
Recording podcasts with Skype using Callnote lets you add music to your calls. Let’s talk more about its highlights.
- Separately record audio and video files on different tracks.
- Add pre-recorded calls or music to your Skype calls.
- Analyze the emotions of the speaker to get an in-depth understanding.
- Integrates with Dropbox, Youtube, Evernote, OneDrive, Google Drive for instant sharing.
- Send subtitles and a transcription of your call with the recording.
Platform: Windows and Mac
Price: Apart from the free version with limited call recordings and no editing options, there are two paid versions of Call Note:
- Call Note Pro: Unlimited recordings at $39.95/year.
- Call Note Premium: 30 recordings at $9.95/year.
Pros and Cons:
Amolto Call Recorder for Skype & Teams is a popular application for recording unlimited Skype audio and video calls in high quality. Screencast recording is easy and available on the dashboard itself. The installation process does not take long and starts recording as soon as you get a call on Skype.
- Automatic and manual recording options are available.
- Exports video recordings in MP3 format.
- Recorded calls and history are available on the dashboard.
- Inform the guest by sending a customized message automatically as the recording starts.
Price: It has a free version with limited features. The premium version has a one-time fee of $35.39.
Pros and Cons
Use An Audio Mixer
If you have a significant understanding of EQ, reverbs, pass filters, etc., then a mixer can be a decent addition to your podcasts. Recording a live show requires you to play your jingle in the beginning, fade it slowly, etc. You cannot edit these in a live show, and an audio mixer is a way to go.
Remember you do not need a mixer just because you have an XLR mic and are looking for a way to turn your analog signal into a digital one to record a podcast on audio editing software on your computer. You can do that by just using an audio interface that will connect your mic to your computer.
Buy a mixer with a USB output to record a podcast directly on a computer. Not every mixer can connect to your computer. There are mixers like Rodcaster pro, which are specially designed to record podcasts.
While using a mixer for recording podcasts on Skype, use the Mix-Minus setting.
It is easy to send all your recordings back to Skype.
Now you know how to record a podcast with Skype by using the best recorders available. I would recommend trying Skype’s in-built recorder and then trying out Call Note, Amolto, or Evaer.
As a professional podcaster, you should opt for an Audio mixer to control the sound and other audio elements. If that seems complicated, you can always switch back to using a call recorder.