YouTube is the most popular video platform on the web right now and has seen unprecedented growth in the last decade.
If you’re a new video creator looking to make money through YouTube, then this compilation of key YouTube stats is a great starting point. If you’re a seasoned marketer, then the numbers mentioned in this article can help you tweak how you promote your YouTube channel.
As I mentioned in my content marketing stats piece, use the data below as a starting point. Trust your creative instincts beyond that to not end up being another average video creator.
Table of Contents
YouTube Demographics Data
Here are the top YouTube user stats that show the age groups and the regions where the video platform is experiencing rapid growth.
(Hint: It’s not just in English speaking nations.)
2. It hosts over 2 billion logged-in users every month (that’s almost one-third of the internet).
3. In the USA alone, 73% of adults use YouTube. Facebook is the only other social media platform that has comparable reach at 69%.
4. Indeed, the platform is even more popular among the younger demographics. 81% of people in the age bracket of 15 to 25 in the US use YouTube. The audience it reaches in the US is more than any TV network.
5. In India, YouTube makes for 93.5% of all digital video viewers. It’s expected to touch 308.7 million this year. The viewership of Netflix pales in comparison (expected to touch 10.2 million in 2020).
YouTube has launched local versions in more than 100 countries and users can navigate it in over 80 different languages.
7. On channels with more than 250k subscribers, only 33% of popular YouTube videos are in the English language. In India, 95% of viewership comes from videos in native Indian languages.
If you’re a global brand, then the message is clear: niche down and go vernacular to earn the trust of your audience. Google India, with its heartfelt stories (like this one) in Hindi, shows you the way.
YouTube Competition And Usage
How many videos are being uploaded on YouTube and what are the characteristics of the most watched videos? Here are some YouTube usage and competition statistics to give you an edge over your competitors.
8. While we can’t possibly know how many videos are there on YouTube, over 500 hours of fresh video are uploaded onto YouTube every minute.
That sounds like a LOT of competition. However, what encouraged me to launch my new YouTube channel this year is the high video consumption appetite.
9. Over one billion hours of videos are watched on YouTube every day with an average user spending 12 minutes and 43 seconds on the platform.
10. More than 70% of this watch time comes from mobile devices. Indeed, YouTube is responsible for 37% of all mobile internet traffic.
The prominence of the small screens calls for shrinking your thumbnail to 10% to see how everyone else is going to be viewing it.
Are you creating custom thumbnails?
If not, get started right away because they are an important tool in getting the attention of prospective viewers and increasing your CTR. For instance, optimization of thumbnails helped Vevo generate millions of extra views.11. Take a guess at the fastest growing market for YouTube? It’s the television screen with a 70% yearly growth in the past year (as reported in May 2018). Nearly 7 out of 10 YouTube TV viewers report doing so during primetime.
Q3 of 2018 was a “tipping point” for YouTube TV consumption as the viewership on television sets surpassed that on desktops.
12. 70% of the views on YouTube are generated by its artificial intelligence based algorithm, as per YouTube executives. In a Pew Research survey, 81% of US adults admitted that they occasionally or regularly watched videos that were recommended by the algorithm.
Also, irrespective of the starting criterion, YouTube recommendations tend to tilts towards more popular content.
This means that a few videos tend to get most of the viewership on the platform.
13. Pareto’s Principle is valid on the platform as merely 10% of the most-viewed YouTube videos draw 79% of all views.
It calls video creators to put up their best work.
And don’t forget using tags and keyword-rich descriptions. They both have a small correlation with higher rankings as per a Backlinko analysis of 1.3M YouTube videos.
But how can we calibrate the “best” to suit the varied demographic of users on YouTube?
YouTube For Business Statistics
If your brand is dappling with YouTube marketing, then here are a few YouTube for business stats that you can use to create a data-informed strategy.
14. Social Media Examiner found that 62% of marketers plan on increasing their YouTube organic activities in the next 12 months. Indeed, YouTube is the number one video broadcasting channel used by marketers.
Buffer also found that 62% of businesses use YouTube as a channel to post video content.
Next, let’s try to understand viewer habits on YouTube.
15. People decide what to watch based on their passions. So it’s 3x more important for your video to relate to the viewer’s interests rather than featuring famous actors.
16. This relevance to personal interests is 1.6x more important than production quality. In the wake of COVID-19, YouTube is defaulting to SD streaming in Europe anyway.
So don’t spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on expensive gear and chasing high-production studios. Get to know your audience needs better by talking to them and researching their interests.
If you’re starting from scratch and are confused about audience interests, then don’t choose subjects with a wide viewership. Go ‘niche; and remember that relevance to your audience is the key to growth! That’s how you’ll create the “best” work for your channel subscribers.
17. People log on to YouTube to learn things that they haven’t done before. As a brand, this calls for creating videos teaching new skills and tactics that your audience finds helpful.
18. And while you’re at it, consider creating longer (and more engaging) videos. YouTube recommendations tend to point users to progressively longer content.
If you’re an Ecommerce retailer, then then you’ll be thrilled to read the next two stats.
19. Users are heading to YouTube to find shopping inspiration. Digital video seems the new window-shopping hub as the growth in watch time for YouTube videos on “which product to buy” doubled between 2017 and 2018.
20. At the beginning of their buying process, 80% of shoppers claimed to watch a YouTube video related to a purchase they were planning to make. Indeed, 90% of people said they discovered a new brand or product through the video platform.
While YouTube is valuable for businesses, can small video creators survive and thrive on the platform? Let’s take a look at the YouTube money statistics to find out.
YouTube Stats About Influencers
You’ve already seen the cutthroat competition on YouTube and the prominence of popular channels in a previous section. So if you’re a creative, is this platform worth spending your time on at all? You can answer this question for yourself using the Youtube earnings and creator stats below.
21. In a survey of 400 creators, full-time YouTubers stated “expressing creativity” at 51% as their top goal. It was closely followed by promoting business/brand at 34%.
22. A substantial number of creators, almost 23%, mentioned the lack of time as their top challenge. As a one-man show, many are also starved of resources.
23. YouTube users that follow creators and engage with their channels every day grew by 70% between 2017 and 2018.
So, how does it translate into tangible revenue?
24. Well, ‘success’ on YouTube might mean a life of poverty because even with millions of views every month, you might be unable to make rent. It’s no wonder that many creators consider YouTube as a creative project/hobby. Merely 27% use it for their work full-time.
There’s some good news though:
25. The number of YouTube channels earning six figures per year grew more than 40% y/y. And that earned $10,000 per year grew more than 50% y/y.
Do those income figures discourage you from starting a YouTube channel?
26. Graham Stephan, a 29-year old YouTube millionaire, has six revenue streams as shown below.
So it’s a question of getting your priorities right.
Instead of chasing subscribers and millions of views, seek relevance and resonance with your audience. Also, don’t rely on the YouTube Partner Program alone for generating income.
In the wake of the coronavirus crisis, YouTube Partner Program’s applications are delayed. However, creators can monetize videos sharing information about COVID-19. Follow the official updates here on how YouTube is addressing the situation.
Depending on your channel’s niche, diversify your income sources by integrating affiliate marketing, online courses, sponsorships and the like. And when it comes to sponsorships, brands have more incentive to collaborate with influencers.
27. Influencers are just as likely as celebrities to drive buying decisions. Indeed, YouTube creators are 4x more effective at driving lift in brand familiarity than celebrities.
28. As YouTube videos demand more effort than Instagram posts, YouTube influencers can command higher prices. A YouTube creator with 100k subscribers can command roughly $2,000 per video.
YouTube is a great platform to build an audience. And hopefully the above YouTube video statistics have given you ideas to tweak your YouTube strategy.
If you’re a marketer, I recommend you to combine the data trends from this article with the video marketing statistics piece. This will help in creating a well-rounded video strategy for your brand.
How will you leverage the above stats on your YouTube channel? Are there any other crucial statistics about the video platform that I might have left out? I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.
Infographic: YouTube Stats To Guide Your 2020 Strategy
For the visual learners, and writers interested in sharing these stats in their articles, I’ve collaborated with Graphic Rhythm Designs. And we’ve put together an infographic covering the above YouTube stats. So enjoy the visual treat and feel free to share it with your audience (don’t forget to credit this article and the Graphic Rhythm Designs homepage!i
LET'S MEET IN YOUR INBOX 😃
Free online education, online learning sites, online educational platforms, learning platform, learn it online, learn skills online, free online learning
Are you contemplating creating your own show that people can tune in to and listen to your voice? If so,
Webinars are invaluable to a creator — they enhance your connection with your audience, let you engage with your prospects,
The education industry is amid a huge behavioral shift. With people practicing social distancing, there has been an unprecedented need
Congratulations on making your mind to take the leap into freelance writing! You’re roaring to go and can’t wait to